Updated on 08/02/23
If you or someone you know has experienced a substance use disorder (SUD), you know that addiction affects more than just the body; it affects the entire individual — mind, body and soul. Therefore, addiction treatments should not only address the SUD but also address the complete needs of the individual.
Holistic treatments and practices focus on a person’s mental, emotional and physical well-being. They have been proven effective in recovery programs when used in conjunction with other forms of treatment.
Holistic treatments used in substance abuse therapies should be tailored to the individual needs of the client.
Types of Holistic Treatments in Addiction Recovery
There are many types of holistic treatments that are popular. Meditation, massage, yoga and acupuncture are a few of the most common types of holistic therapies. These therapies are grounded in helping you relax and concentrate on your breathing. They encourage you to focus your mind and body in the present moment.
Holistic treatments are non-medical. In recovery, these treatments are used to help clients during their detoxification process and to help them manage their sobriety.
At PaRC (Prevention and Recovery Center), we offer a variety of holistic treatments and group therapy programs. Some of our innovative programs include:
- PaRC Greenhouse: Our greenhouse program encourages both individual and group therapy work. With this therapy, clients will experience being outdoors surrounded by nature. We incorporate the healing elements of nature into activities, helping our clients develop their self-esteem and gain positive coping skills as they interact with the plants.
- Fitness Recovery: We have certified fitness instructors that will work with our clients to create a fitness and nutrition program individually tailored to help with their recovery program. Fitness is an effective tool during recovery, helping clients establish a natural reward system. Exercising releases the brain’s natural chemical dopamine in the brain, which is part of the body’s feel-good reward system, critical to long-term recovery success.
- Equine Therapy: This therapy is only available in our teen program. This program helps teens become more self-aware and helps them to develop feelings of self-love as they work through their healing and recovery process. Working with the horses also helps facilitate responsibility, work ethic, assertive communication and problem-solving skills.
- Spirituality Recovery Groups: Our spiritual recovery groups focus on connecting to a higher power. This higher power does not have to be a religious deity; it can be connections with science, philosophy, nature, etc. There are many forms of having faith and hope in something larger than yourself. These groups are meant to foster peace and purpose in your recovery.
Explore more of our holistic therapies and groups here.
Benefits of Holistic Treatments and Addiction Therapy Programs
The goals of these treatments center around helping clients identify and heal the causes that lead to their addiction. While these treatments help to reduce stress, anxiety and depression, additional benefits in recovery are:
- Reduction of alcohol and drug cravings
- Establishment of self-care practices
- Improvement of mood
- Increased energy levels
- Better clarity and focus
Holistic therapies will help establish healthier lifestyle habits that will help you manage your recovery long-term with activities that you enjoy.
Are Holistic Therapies Right for Your Recovery Process?
Treatments that are holistic in nature are one of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) “Guiding Principles of Recovery.” In addition to therapies that treat your mind, body and soul, SAMHSA states that addressing your “community” is also important. Community addresses those areas in your life that center around employment, health care, transportation, housing, etc.
As you are looking for the right treatment center that will work best for you, make sure that the facility can create programs that address your individual needs. Here at PaRC, we take a multidisciplinary approach, combining traditional and holistic programs that provide optimal outcomes for each client and help them see improvements in multiple areas of their lives.
Personal satisfaction is a key factor in managing your recovery. Finding holistic treatments that address your individual needs, help establish a practice of self-care and allow you to build a foundation of healthy coping mechanisms will give you the tools you need to help make your recovery a long-term success.
At PaRC, we offer a variety of holistic treatments and groups to support our clients on their journey. From designing fitness plans, building nutritional programs, or even participating in music therapy, we’ll work with you to find the plan that best fits your needs. We feel there is a holistic treatment that fits everyone’s recovery treatment plan.
If you need help deciding which treatment programs are right for you or your loved one or if you want to know more about holistic treatments and addiction recovery, please call PaRC at (713) 939-7272. With nearly 40 years of expertise in substance use disorder treatment, we can help guide the way to a lifetime of recovery.